Monday, November 15, 2010

P-Rock Answers Questions About Indonesia

Hello Everyone. I hope your week was as action packed as Kelly Slater’s. The 38 year old surfing legend won his 10th Association of Surfing Professionals world title at the Rip Curl Search Pro in Puerto Rico. Congrats Kelly. For more info click Here.

So the Wet Dream has conducted its first interview. Sorry I didn’t get Kelly Slater, or even someone famous. Instead I am pleased to announce that The Wet Dream’s first ever interviewee is none other than Paul Costenello from Long Island, New York. A real native. Paul recently traveled to the Far East to check out the insaneness of Indonesia. So I sat down with Paul to ask him a few questions, and he really opens up about his: travels, boards, life, but most importantly his love of naked Indonesian boys.


TWD: So Paul, you don’t mind if I call you P-Rock do you?
Paul: Well yes, I actually do mind, I prefer Paul.
TWD: You got it P-Rock. So let’s get down to it. You just Got back from a surfing adventure in Indonesia. Was it paradise? Or was it paradise?
Paul: Well, it was Paradise. And yes, I did just get back from Indo. Specifically several friends and I went through this company that does boat charters to rarely surfed little dream point breaks, it’s unreal.
TWD: So where exactly were you guys?
Paul: Specifically we were in the Mentawais Islands in Sumatra. The surf was incredible. Every morning we would taxi out into these deserted lineups with glassy overhead barrels. Rights and Lefts and fast sections and slow sections.
TWD: That’s not what I need to hear right now.
Paul: I know, sorry.
TWD: So what did you enjoy about the Indonesian Culture?
Paul: Well for one Indonesians are an extremely hospitable culture. A lot of the outer islands have been heavily damaged from recent hurricanes and tsunamis, but their happiness has not faded. For people with few possessions and simple lives they take joys in the smallest things in life. It was incredible when we’d go ashore and dozens of half naked Indonesian children would swarm us. They see a fair amount of surfers because of how the tours work, and they love em’. They scream at us asking us to “surf!” They love the water and they love surfing. That was a really beautiful part of the trip for me.
TWD: That’s really touching.
Paul: I guess I’m a teddy Bear.
TWD: So what was your board selection like for the trip?
Paul: You know, I actually felt under-prepared. I brought three boards with me, the longest being a 6’3” thruster. I would have been happier with something even bigger because the surf was that large. I also had a 5’8” fish and a 6’0” quad fin thing. Both are awesome boards, but for the $300 I spent to send them, it wasn’t worth it.
TWD: Paul, being this super experienced traveler that you now are, are you still going to be ripping up the east coast this winter? Or has the 80 degree water of the South Pacific softened you into a frail little birdie?
Paul: Of course I’ll still be surfing on the East Coast. Granted it will be much harder to put on my wetsuit and booties, but my love of surfing comes first, my body second.

Map of Mentawai Islands

So when is the Best time to go to Indonesia? According to The WaterWays Surf Adventure Website, “Like with so many questions the answer is: “It depends.”  It depends on your desires.  If you want big surf with favorable trades, May to September is probably best.  If you want to experience some glassy conditions and get a few more rights and less people (but possibly sacrifice some swell size) March/April or late Sept/Oct is probably best.  If you don’t mind rain but good surface conditions and smaller, clean surf with nobody else around: give the off season a try, from November to February.”


What you should expect.    
My thanks to Paul for sharing his epic journey. I’ll definitely be dreaming of Indonesian surf tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment